Trippin' on Metatech

Has anyone else had a "metatech" moment? Basically, situations where you are interfacing with one type of technology in order to interface with another one? I've had 2 such moments in the past month or two... And maybe it's because I'm a Luddite and refuse to get on Facebook, but these moments are really novel and amusing to me.

In one, I was on video Skype with a friend, and she received a cell phone call from her sister, who is also a close friend. So my friend answers the phone, puts it on speaker and says "I'm Skyping with Anita!" and thrusts the phone towards the screen. So now I'm staring at a cell phone and talking to my friend VIA Skype VIA a cell phone. Weirdo meta-technologimacal moment that is...*

The second incident was hilarious to experience, but possibly a "you had to be there" kinda moment. My friend and I had arranged a phone date and he, being all Skype superior, wanted to do it through Google Talk. So... this is the chat of us figuring out our Internet VOIP phone call.

10:04 PM robb: hey der
me: gmornin
10:05 PM i dont hear anything
10:07 PM am i sposed to do something?
robb: I think so
10:08 PM me: im talking but you cant hear me
i answered
robb: You haven't answered a call yet
maybe you have to call me
me: yeah.. i pressed answr
ok
robb: Video & more
10:09 PM me: this sux
whats your # im using skype
robb: I don't use skype
me: :P
10:10 PM i know, i can call your home #
robb: maybe because your busy
ok
905-688-XXXX
me: nope
k, wait
10:11 PM robb: maybe not video chat
[Here, I call him via Skype and the call cuts out almost immediately...]
10:12 PM hello?
me: ....
10:13 PM robb: I heard the first bit of a hi...

It was especially hilarious to me because we were using chat to communicate about not being able to communicate. Which I suppose beats dead silence. But oh, the world we live in.

So, is it just me, or does this kind of thing happen to everyone? Or does it happen so often that we don't even notice? Or was this already a topic on Facebook and sooo last year?** I'm really curious to know if other people experience this... like we've evolved from walkmans to ipods, and from mirror illusions to meta-interfacing. There's something about it that really reminds me of a Beckett play. Maybe "metatech" isn't even the word I'm looking for, maybe it's "Becketttech"

Anyway, if you've got a story, do share.

*The only thing funnier would've been if it was a video phone, and I could see my friend VIA Skype VIA a cell phone. Or if, say, in the background of this video phone, there was a screen... with another friend on video Skype.... and so forth. Guffah, that'd be cool.

**Sorry, been getting more Facebook taunting lately. Listen, I'll join when everyone stops telling me to join, now fuck off. Final answer.

1 Response to "Trippin' on Metatech"

  1. Gillian J.D. Says:

    Hahahah~~~how many people do you actually want to talk via Video and phone? Imaginary world! Me too, hating people asking me if I have facebook. I don't have any lah~And during the freak-out period of Cape No. 7, I hated when people kept saying Go and watch Cape No. 7. I still haven't watched any part of it. ^_^

    Gillian Taiwan